I was overwhelmed by the response to my most popular article 10 Markings of a Godly Woman and the attention it had gained. There could be many reasons for that, one of which being the simple fact that in today’s world a truly godly woman is hard to find. And for the one who aspires to be molded into the woman she was created to be by God, it interests us to know the standard He has called us to model to those around us. Whether you are a wife or a wife-in-waiting, I thought I’d just go ahead and pull together some scriptures on the character and composure of a woman in Christ; not only in her calling but for the good of her husband. After reading through these I’m sure we can begin to agree that the woman of value God has virtuously shaped in His word is the type of woman this world needs more of. While the Bible has many many requisites on the call of a husband, this post is specifically focused on the wife.
(From the New Living Translation)
- She speaks words of wisdom with gentle kindness.
When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. –Proverbs 31:26
- She is trustworthy. She makes decisions that prove her husband can trust her.
Her husband can trust her… – Proverbs 31:11
- She builds and cultivates the potential of his life.
And she will greatly enrich his life. –Proverbs 31:11 (cont.)
- She adds positivity to his life by acting in constant consideration of his best well-being.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. – Proverbs 31:12
- She reflects the selfless, enduring, faithful God kind of love.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. – 1 Corinthians 14:3-7
- She submits to Christ and then her husband. She has no problem recognizing the healthy authority a husband and father has in his household and serves alongside him toward a common goal: a healthy family.
And further, submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. – Ephesians 5:21-22
- She is his greatest support. As his life partner and “helper” she helps sustain him- mentally, physically, emotionally and at home.
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.” – Genesis 2:18
- Her strength and beauty comes from the Lord. His Spirit shines from within her.
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. – Proverbs 31:30
- She’s devoted to her marriage and her family. Nothing else (other than God) comes before them.
Train the younger women to love their husbands and their children. – Titus 2:4
- Like a crown, she is his glory; his most valuable and prized possession. She is a representation of honorable and virtuous character.
A worthy wife is a crown for her husband, but a disgraceful woman is like cancer in his bones. – Proverbs 12:4
Make it memorable! Download the printable for this post HERE!