I made a Facebook post about this a couple days ago and received a very healthy response. It was on my heart to add these signs here to my blog because to be honest the amount of lack in love and increase of self-righteousness in the church hurts me- not only me but it hurts us as a body, hurts others who enter the church and damages our witness.
Pharisees and Saudicees were the ruling class of Israel. They usually held powerful positions like “high priest” and held the majority of seats on council. You see over and over again in the New Testament that Jesus addressed and rebuked them almost more than any other group of people at the time. They were self-righteous, pompous and made an act out of religion. Most of all in their hardened hearts and attempt to defend “religion” they crucified Christ and chased off His chosen.
According to Barna researchers 51% of Americas evangelical community display Pharisaical attitudes and actions among the church. You can find that research HERE. If that’s true we have a serious problem on our hands. It means that we are not being led by the Spirit of Christ but by head knowledge and have deceived ourselves as Christians. And it spreads like yeast. This attitude cannot continue in the church. So I challenge you to reflect on these signs honestly and transparently. We cannot correct what we’re not willing to confront.
Signs Of A Pharisee
1. They point fingers without self-reflection. They love to correct everyone but themselves.
2. They correct out of self-righteousness and the need to appear right rather than the deep love for that persons soul
3. They spend more time “checking peoples fruit” than spreading the gospel of Christ
4. They teach and pray that others might see how knowledgeable they are
5. Love is not the driving cause, appearance is
6. Their hearts are hard. They continuously forget the grace that God has given them causing them to lack the same grace, love, forgiveness that others need in return.
7. They are motivated by jealousy, hatred, drama and division.
8. They preach things without living them.
9. They love position and places of honor.
10. They put their trust in their own works.
11. They look down on others as if they have it “all together”. Prideful.
12. They accuse people with contempt, even Gods own children. They want the woman “stoned” rather than like Christ showing mercy and helping her to her feet.
13. They have no real concern for the lost. Only that they be heard.
14. They’re very critical of others (not in loving correction but in the need to be right) and don’t know how to keep the main thing the main thing which is Christ.
15. They are threatened by Gods chosen because they are not the focus.
16. They were probably offended or convicted by this post.
The list goes on but the scriptures particularly in Matthew are in reference to this post.
And reflect…are you a Pharisee?